The History of Musikhaus W.Heuer
W. HEUER is a well-established music firm with a proud tradition of service excellence, supplying South Africa with the widest range of musical instruments available. W. HEUER was established in 1955, selling and servicing pianos. From these seemingly humble beginnings grew an organization which today is not only renowned for its piano trade, but all musical instruments, instrument parts, sheet music and the largest piano restoring factory in Africa. The following chronicle dates back to 1910 and contains all significant events in the company's history up to this day.
History -- before the 60's
- 1910 The founder of W. HEUER, Johannes Wolfgang Willy Friedlieb Heuer was born in Kiel, Germany.
- 1939 At the start of the Second World War Wolfgang Heuer becomes part of an infantry in the German Army.
- 1944 Wolfgang is wounded at Stalingrad and is hospitalized in Bruno, Republic Of Czech, where he meets his future bride.
- 1945 The second world war ended and Wolfgang started to do piano repairs at his own workshop in Hamburg.
- 1953 Mr & Mrs Heuer (snr) and their two children arrive in the Cape Town harbour. Mr Heuer (snr) became an employee of piano dealer R Muller and also Darters in Cape Town as workshop Foreman until 1955.
- 1955 On the 9th of August the music firm W. HEUER is established and is run from Mr & Mrs Heuer's home in Stellenbosch. This is how the family business started. Mr Heuer (snr) sold & serviced pianos on a mobile basis while Mrs Heuer assisted in Piano repair work at home.
- 1956 The first new pianos ("Jehle") are imported from West Germany.
- 1959 Upon own initiative, the first "Sperrhake" harpsichords and spinets were imported and sold country wide.
History -- 60's and 70's
- 1961 For the first time in South Africa, "Orff" percussion instruments were introduced to South African schools by Mrs Heuer.
- 1963 Hans, the third child of Mr & Mrs Heuer (snr) is born.
- 1965 The first Yamaha pianos is imported from Japan. Ulla, the fourth child of Mr & Mrs Heuer is born.
- 1967 The electronic organ trade is introduced.
- 1969 Wolfgang Heuer (jnr) started his three year piano building course at the Dietmann Piano Factory in Wellington.
- 1970 Wolfgang Heuer (jnr) receives further training at two prestigious piano factories in Germany. The famous Yamaha Electone/Keyboard festival is hosted by W .HEUER to promote music amongst all South Africans.
- 1971 Wolfgang Heuer (jnr) completes his piano building course at his fathers' piano workshop.
- 1972 Two plots of land c/o Dennesig & Bird Street in Stellenbosch is bought by Mr Heuer (snr). This was the first step to the fulfillment of a life-long dream: The creation of his own "MUSIKHAUS" (Directly translated: Music House).
- 1976 Walter Heuer, son of Wolfgang Heuer (jnr) is born.
- 1979 The piano workshop flourishes beyond expectation and grows to be the largest of its kind in South Africa.
History -- 80's and 90's
- 1980 During August, the company celebrates its 25th anniversary and hosts a festive concert at he Stellenbosch Conservatory. W. HEUER now became the largest suppliers of orchestral percussion instruments all Cape Province, Free State and South West African (Namibia) schools.
- 1980 On the 1st of September, the first Cape Town store is opened in the Golden Acre , under management of Mr Derek Sale.
- 1981 The first portable Yamaha keyboard is imported.
- 1983 The International Musik Messe in Franfurt is attended annually to view the latest developments in the music field.
- 1986 Hans Heuer receives his BCOM degree at the University Of Stellenbosch and becomes a permanent member of the family business. From this year W. HEUER participates in the Design For Living show at the Good Hope center in Cape Town. A large amount of products is presented and demonstrated at this show.
- 1988 W. HEUER becomes the leading supplier of educational instruments in South Africa, thanks to the initiative of Mrs E Heuer.
- 1990 On the 4th of January Mrs E Heuer, right hand and companion of Mr Heuer (snr) passed away.
- 1992 During December the building contract for Musikhaus is signed, thus brining the family dream another step closer to fulfillment.
- 1992 Hans-Werner, son of Hans Heuer is born on 5 August.
- 1993 The biggest moment arrives as Mr Heuer (snr) sows the first soil for the Musikhaus building.
On the 26th of March Mr W Heuer (snr), founder of W. HEUER, passed away at the age of 83.
On the 14th of September a 117-year old antique piano is elevated into the big grand piano shaped arch of Musikhaus, as a symbol for all the Heuer generations to follow.
- On the 22nd of September 1993 the big moment arrived: The administrator of Cape Town, Mr Kobus Meiring, announce the grand opening of Musikhaus W. HEUER during a glamorous evening event with more than a special 120 guests. The first music is echoed from the beautiful Musikhaus display hall walls by famous South African performers. On the 23rd of September 1993 the doors of Musikhaus is opened for the public and an immediate foretaste of success with the sale of five pianos!
- 1993 On the 24th of September the second W. HEUER branch store is opened in the new Somerset Mall Shopping Centre, in Somerset West.
- 1994 The first Music Laboratory System for keyboard training is sold and installed at the Good Hope College in Khayelitsha.
- 1995 On the 2nd of May the third W. HEUER branch store is opened at South Africa's most glamorous shopping mall, Cavendish Square in Claremont. During this year, Musikhaus W. HEUER continuos to inspire people. In a magazine article in the famous DE KAT magazine they called Musikhaus "'n Kasteel Vir Klaviere" (Translated : "A Castle For Pianos").
- 1997 On the 20th of June Rudick Rudolf Heuer, son of Hans Heuer is born.
- 1997 Musikhaus W.Heuer supplies the Namibian Defence Force band with new instruments, successfully delivered to Windhoek by Mr. W.Heuer.
- 1998 Walter Heuer, son of Mr. W.Heuer joins the company initiating the 5th generation in this family business.
History -- 2000 and beyond
- 2000 The new millenium constitutes a move of our Cavindish Square Shop across the road to Cavindish Place. In this year our company celebrates 45 years of business in South Africa.
- 2004 Sole importers to the innovative 21st Century WENDL & LUNG accoustic pianos. (Austria "know how")
- 2005 We celebrate our 50th anniversary - 50 years of business in South Africa. Importing and installing 2 new aristocratic BÖSENDORFER 280 Concert Grands in the Endle Hall of the University of Stellenbosch.
- 2006 We import our first container of WENDL & LUNG pianos from Vienna.
|Tel: 021-887 2938
Fax: 021-887 4075
Int. Code 0027
|Tel: 021-887 2938
Fax: 021-887 4075
Int. Code 0027